Sign up for our newsletter here!
We Turn to Feminist Organizing
When a pandemic turns the whole world upside down, we turn to feminist organizing. We’re convening feminist community online, we’re organizing with our coalition partners across the Commonwealth and with NOW State Presidents across the country.
Thank you to everyone who joined our Menstrual Equity Coalition Briefing on March 26th to hear from activists on the current state of access to menstrual products for students, homeless and incarcerated menstruators during COVID-19 – and always. If you missed it, check out the briefing on our YouTube page. If you can, please go to Dignity-Matters.org for a list of donation bins and to donate directly for menstrual products and share the action alert.
The COVID-19 crisis has promoted NOW State Presidents to start meeting weekly and this week the Northern NOW District State Presidents met for the first time to compare the work happening in each of our states. NOW is comprised of 6 districts and Mass NOW is in the Northern District, along with Connecticut, Maine, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New York, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island and Vermont. It is more important now than ever to build feminist networks outside of our immediate circle, and sometimes our State.
Join us TODAY 4PM on Facebook Live as we wind into the weekend and kick off #Feminist Friday with special co hosts from the Mass NOW PAC. Stay tuned for another special NOW event co hosted with Florida NOW about urging the FDA to allow medication abortion to be prescribed via telemedicine.
Thank you for reading what might be our longest newsletter ever.
In feminist solidarity,
The Mass NOW Board of Directors
PS: We’re calling our members every week to check in and see how folks are doing, starting with our longest serving members. Let us know if you want to join us by emailing us at email@example.com.
The National Organization for Women Political Action Committee (NOW PAC) has made 130+ endorsements in Senate and House races all over the country in an effort to put feminists in control of both chambers of Congress.
Join us Thursday, April 16 at 8 pm EST / 5pm PST for a members-only webinar to learn about the NOW PAC federal endorsement process and how chapters and individuals can support NOW PAC candidates. Click here to register.
Northern NOW District Action Alert
The NOW PAC endorsed candidate Sara Gideon is running against Susan Collins, who was the dangerous swing vote to confirm Brett Kavanaugh and pass Trump’s unfair tax bill. This is
one of the most flippable seats to get us to a new Senate Majority. And as Speaker of the Maine State House, Sara Gideon has a record of standing up for women and families. We need her in the U.S. Senate!
Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org to help us call NOW members in Maine!
Immediately Pass a Eviction and Foreclosure Moratorium
We know (now and always) that having housing can be a matter of health or death. As a Commonwealth, we are called to uphold housing as a basic human right and to ensure that no one currently with housing loses it through eviction or foreclosure. Mass NOW has joined the Coalition for the Homeless and over 200 organizations calling on Governor Charlie Baker, Senate President Karen Spilka, House Speaker Robert DeLeo, and the full Legislature to immediately pass a strong eviction and foreclosure moratorium. See the text of the letter and list of endorsing organizations on the City Life Vida Urbana website.
Use Your Voice Today to Push for the Strongest
Eviction and Foreclosure Moratorium Possible
Email or call your State Representative and Senator. Find your legislator here.
Email or call Senate President Karen Spilka, Karen.Spilka@masenate.gov, 617- 722-1500
Email or call House Speaker Robert DeLeo, Robert.DeLeo@mahouse.gov, 617-722-2500
Coalition Resources & Action Alerts
Mass NOW is grateful to be in coalition with so many incredible social justice organizations Here’s what we’ve been reading from our coalition partners for resources and upcoming events.
- Please join the Massachusetts Immigrant and Refugee Advocacy Center (MIRA) for the2020 Census: MA Virtual Phone-bank on Tuesdays and Thursdays. A short training will be included in the first 20 minutes.
- Jane Doe Inc.: The Massachusetts Coalition Against Sexual Assault and Domestic Violence Coronavirus Resources and Information.
- The Network La Red, a survivor-led social justice organization that works to end partner abuse in LGBTQ communities, has turned their annual fundraiser into a silent auction.
- Early Education for All is updating their website with resources for childcare providers and parents.
- Join the Student Immigrant Movement (SIM) #NoICEinBPS campaign online and donate to the MassUndocuFund for COVID-19 Relief for Undocumented Workers.
- Check out Black & Pink‘s Facebook page for ongoing fundraisers to help LGBTQ inmates purchase a bar of soap, phone time with their family, and nourishment to provide comfort.
- Pledge to #ShareMyCheck with the Mass Redistribution Fund to support community-led relief efforts for COVID-19 in Massachusetts.
- The City of Boston dedicated $3 million to help Boston residents at risk of losing their rental housing due to the COVID-19 pandemic.
- Join YW Boston Tuesday, April 14th,12PM on Zoom for An unequal crisis: Addressing the intersectional dimensions of COVID-19.
- Join the Boston Area Rape Crisis Center (BARCC) Thursday, April 16th at 11AM for Supporting Survivors in a Time of “Social” Distancing.