The Massachusetts Chapter of the National Organization for Women (Mass NOW) is seeking a Social Media, Fundraising and Legislative Intern for the Fall semester, starting Oct 4, 2021 through Dec 31, 2021. Applications will be considered on a rolling basis.
About the Organizations: For over 50 years Mass NOW has been fighting for feminist policy statewide, championing the most comprehensive pay equity legislation in the country and is currently fighting for menstrual products in schools, prisons and shelters. This past legislative session they succeeded in passing period policy for the first time in Massachusetts history; $500,000 for menstrual products in shelters!
Today, we are a member-led grassroots organization and we thrive on the support of our members, supporters, and allies. Now offered at a sliding scale, membership allows Mass NOW and our local chapters to advocate more effectively for change. By becoming a member, you join thousands of people in supporting Mass NOW to pursue equity, act for justice, and build an intersectional feminist community. Plus, members get access to monthly chapter meetings to hear updates on our feminist agenda and participate in consciousness raisings with a diverse, multi-generational feminist community.
- Ability to working remotely with regular one-hour meetings via web conference
- Ability and willingness to use a personal computer for Mass NOW work
Time Commitment: 5 hours per week.
Compensation: $15 hourly rate
About the Legislative Intern Position:
- Track pending legislation in the current session, and record lead sponsors, co-sponsors, and votes on bills.
- Attend legislative hearings
- Prepare legislative outreach materials, including testimony of behalf of the Mass NOW Director, action alerts, and briefs for advocates and legislators
About the Fundraising & Membership Intern Position:
- Call Mass NOW Members to share chapter updates and invite them to upcoming fundraising events
- Managing incoming donations, appropriate thank you notes, and donation
- Updating the donor database to reflect current activity
- Maintains guest lists, gathers and prepares registration materials and other duties as assigned for fundraising events.
- Solicit sponsors for fundraising events
Social Media Intern Position Responsibilities:
- Manage social media calendar across Facebook, Instagram, Twitter and LinkedIn
- Draft copy for email and social media announcements about the Mass NOW legislative agenda including original legislation and supported third-party measures and events related to this work (call-in days, letter writing campaigns, testimonial submissions, lobby days etc)
- Help generate ideas for social media campaigns and manage regular social media posting related to legislative advocacy work
- Create graphics to support social media posts and emails (~2 a week)
- Repost allied organization’s content on Instagram story
- Serve as part of a “rapid response” team to draft communications pertaining to breaking news stories and urgent legislative movements directly related to the Mass NOW. mission